Ever left confused about which earrings will suit you after browsing through pages and pages of designs on websites such as amazon, flipkart, and myntra? Well, if you like it and wear it with confidence, you can rock any design. However, if you are looking for a little help, here’s our cheat guide to help you identify the most flattering styles according to your face shape.
1. Studs: Studs are typically round and come in a variety of designs – from minimal to statement. Due to their round shape, these types of earrings are best suited for face shapes that have length.
Best Suited For - If your face shape is a rectangle, diamond, oblong or oval, you can happily wear your studs.
Who should avoid - For diamond face shapes, it is best to avoid studs that are not round but have sharp edges.
2. Hoops: Circular or C-shaped earrings are most commonly referred to as hoops.
Best Suited For - Oblong, diamond, and rectangular face shapes can easily sport these kinds of earrings. These earrings due to their soft curves are a great fit for square faces as they help take attention off your face’s natural sharp edges.
Who should avoid - Round face shapes should avoid as they will add to your already circular structure making your face look rounder.
3. Drops: These are simplistic and minimal, and drop just below your ear lobes. They are typically smaller in size and are great for adding a sense of curve.
Best Suited For - Great for diamond, oblong, and heart face shapes. For the round face shape, they create an illusion of elongation due to the ‘drop’ structure and hence will certainly look pretty.
Who should avoid - Square face shapes should best avoid such short drop earrings.
4. Danglers: Dangle earrings are earrings that are slender and drop from your ear lobes but are longer in length. They typically dangle back and forth or side to side when you move and hence the name.
Best Suited For - Due to their length, these are great for face shapes that are round and square.
Who should avoid – Longer face shapes like diamond and oblong.
5. Jhumkas: Let’s just say jhumkas are your best friends. Any and every face shape can sport them with aplomb.
If you have a smaller face shape like round or square, go for longer jhumka designs.
If you have a long shape such as oblong or rectangle, wear jhumkas that are shorter and fall closer to the ears so as to pseudo-eliminate the extra length off your face structure.
6. Threader Earrings: Threader earrings, needle thread earrings, or sui dhaaga earrings as they are known are simplistic earrings. Such earrings mostly consist of a simple design backed with a flexible chain that can be easily inserted through the ear piercing and comfortable dangles thereon. These earrings look dainty and are slender in style.
Best Suited For - They are best suited for round, square and oval face shapes.
Who should avoid – Lengthy face structures such as oblong and diamond faces should best avoid these looks.
7. Tassels: Tassel earrings typically have a tuft of threads or beads.
Best Suited For - Tassel earrings look great on circular, oval, and oblong faces.
Who should avoid – Tassel earrings might be a bad choice if you have a square or diamond face as they do not add any curve to balance your sharp angular face.
8. Chandelier Earrings: Earrings that fall in a cascading shape akin to a chandelier are referred to as chandelier earrings. They have a narrow sturdy top and an often intricate wider bottom due to the cascading structure with some decent length.
Best Suited For - These earrings suit the heart, oval, and diamond face shapes due to their wider bottom that balances the natural taper of these face shapes. Round-face shapes can also sport lengthy chandeliers so as to take attention away from their face structure.
Who should avoid – It’s best for the square-shaped faces to avoid these so that the wider bottom of the earrings does not add on more to the already wide face structure.
9. Chandbalis: Chandbali literally means moon (or crescent) shaped earrings.
Best Suited For - Since the bottom part of such earrings is wider, it’s a great choice for people who have a heart-shaped face with a wide forehead and tapered chin. Diamond and oblong face shapes can also easily carry off chandbali style.
Who should avoid – Faces with natural width aka square and round face shapes
10. Shoulder Dusters: These are very long danglers that almost reach to your shoulders, hence the name.
Best Suited For - Due to their length, these really flatter the round and square face shapes creating an illusion of elongation.
Who should avoid – these earrings due to their length can cause the oblong and rectangular faces to look longer and hence are best avoided.
11. Cuff Earrings: Earrings that are worn around the ear cartilage without any need for piercing are referred to as ear cuffs.
Best Suited For - These designs are best suited for long-face shapes such as diamond, oblong and rectangular.
Who should avoid – people with round and square face shapes can avoid these items as they do not lend their face structure the much-needed length.
If you have an oval face shape, then you are indeed in for a treat. You can actually carry off all the above designs with flair!
Now that you know the reason why the same design looks different to people, have a gala time finding your best-suited matches.